Wednesday, 23 January 2013

7 Love letters


Have you ever thought about the 7 letters to the churches in the book of Revelation as Love letters?

I haven't. But I came across a  sermon where a pastor talks about the letters as "love letters" It is thought provoking since most of the sermons I have heard from the book  of Revelation have been about rebuke and judgment; thunder and hail; fire and destruction. If  I look at the letters as love letters from Jesus it gives a different perspective. The love of Jesus forces him to take action, and he tells the truth about what has been good and what is bad; and he also makes a prescription how to recover and start anew.



EPHESUS  where love has grown cold.

These things  says He who holds the seven stars in his right hand, who walks in the midst of the seven golden lamp stands. This description emphasizes that Christ is the head of the Church.

The church of Ephesus was:
a working church
a separated church.
a theologically sound church.


Jesus  commends them for hating the deeds of the Nicolaitans which he also hate. Jesus is pleased with a church that stands firmly against  heresies.

THE PROBLEM
… Nevertheless I have this against you, that you have left your first love.
Their hearts had grown cold toward the Savior

The recipe for the cure:
First,  Remember
Second, Repent.
Third,  Do the first works.

Read his Word
Talk to him  in prayer
Tell others about him
Those are first works.


THE ADMONITION AND THE PROMISE


Hear what the Spirit says to the churches


The promise:

To him that overcomes I will give to eat from the tree of life which is in the midst of the Paradise of God.


1 John 5:5,
Who is he who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.




No comments: