Thursday, 5 July 2012

Know your scripture and use it.


Dear Reader,
I have a tiny little problem with Matthew.  Compared to the other gospels I feel like Matthew is “crackling dry”. I have read somewhere that the gospel of Matthew is talking especially to the Jews and Luke and Mark is more for the gentiles and John kind of talks to everyone. They are written in different mode and tone and with special themes:
Matthew always referring back to the Torah, the Scriptures and the Prophets;
Mark and Luke focusing on the miracles and on special details like special people and spectacular events and
John is to me the poetical and deepest gospel. All this is my perception but I’m sure you may have other alternatives.
But back to my tiny problem. I have listened a couple of times to Matthew and I thought it would be easy to pin down the special verses I was talking about previously. But no; I’m kind of stuck here in too many options. Where do I begin?
Well I have to start somewhere so the first thing I have noticed is that Jesus knew his scriptures:
 “It is written”,” Have you not read?  “It is said … but I tell you” “Today the word of the Prophet is fulfilled…”  Jesus knew his “Bible” and he used the Word of God in his everyday life.  This reminds  me that I ought to do the same. Be familiar with the Word of God so that it will flow in my mind and heart whenever I need it in my everyday life. 
I bet Jesus also quoted at times Psalm 119 verse 105:

Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.

Sincerely yours, Ida

No comments: