Monday, 6 February 2012

Would God recognice himself?


Dear reader,

I watched a TV sermon yesterday and the lady preacher asked a question that stuck in my head.
I cannot quote her exact sentence but the meaning was :
When you describe God to other people will He recognize himself?

People tend to fall into one or the other ditch where He becomes either a jovial old grandpa who consents to everything or a thunder and lightning God who is always looking to beat people over the head with the law and its requirements and will never be satisfied.
Where would I begin or what could I say if I had only a minute or two to explain who God is? Both the preacher and I came to the same conclusion; we have to start with Jesus. It says in the Bible that God has
summed up all things in Christ:
God saves through Jesus; he cares about me because of Jesus; he has promised to be my protector because of Jesus; I have a helper the Holy Spirit through Jesus; my whole life here and in eternity depends on Jesus and if I except his gift of salvation through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

I have started to listen to the Bible and have finished Deuteronomy today. I need to listen to 4 chapters a day to finish the Bible in a year but this has become a need and when I have listened to the required chapters I think "just one more" and although you might think the Old Testament will be hard and boring to listen to it is exciting when you search for Jesus in it.

When Jesus walked with the disciples on the road to Emmaus
beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he explained to them what was said in all the Scriptures concerning himself. Luke 24. Now that would have been a Bible study to yearn for!

Once upon a time I was a person who used to see God as a judging and angry God no matter how hard I tried to live up to his expectations. He had been described to me that way more often than he was a loving and caring God ... even for me. But John 14:9 where Jesus said "he that has seen me has seen the Father", opened my eyes and it was such a joy to recognize the real image of God which is Jesus. Jesus is the key to God.
"Joh:10:30: I and my Father are one."

Sincerely yours, Ida

No comments: