Saturday, 21 August 2010

The Outsiders and The Insiders


Dear Friend,

Remember "The Outsiders" in the post from Thursday, 22 July? Well my question was answered by my blog-friend Anna who found the name of the painter - the western artist Don Spaulding.

I Googled Don Spaulding and found this picture.

It is called "The Insiders"

On Snow Goose Gallery there is an explanation added to the painting “The Outsiders” :

"I spend a lot of time reading about the Old West. This painting was suggested by a passage from "Pioneer Women" by Joanna Stratton, a book that records the remembrances of women settlers in Kansas. One woman who lived in a cowtown called Wano recalled how the cowboys from the trail herds would take part in church services while seated on their horses outside the windows. I'm sure that they remained outside for two reasons: because they felt they were not dressed appropriately and because they were outsiders, not residents of the town. - Don Spaulding."

Sincerely yours,

Ida

No comments: